NICHES investigators are designated in bold type.
Schechter JC, Fuemmeler BF, Hoyo C, Murphy SK, Zhang JJ, Kollins SH. Impact of Smoking Ban on Passive Smoke Exposure in Pregnant Non-Smokers in the Southeastern United States. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018 Jan 6;15(1). pii: E83 PDF
Sanchez, CE, Barry C, Sabhlok A, Russell K, Majors A, Kollins SH, Fuemmeler BF. (2017). Maternal pre-pregnancy obesity and child neurodevelopmental outcomes: A Meta-analysis. Obesity (in press).
Hall BJ, Y Abreu-Villaça, M Cauley, S Juniad, H White, A Kiany, and ED Levin. The ventral hippocampal muscarinic cholinergic system plays a key role in sexual dimorphisms of spatial working memory in rats. Neuropharmacology, 117:106-113, 2017. PDF
Carrie V. Breton, Carmen J. Marsit, Elaine Faustman, Kari Nadeau, Jaclyn M. Goodrich, Dana C. Dolinoy, Julie Herbstman, Nina Holland, Janine M. LaSalle, Rebecca Schmidt, Paul Yousefi, Frederica Perera, Bonnie R. Joubert, Joseph Wiemels, Michele Taylor, Ivana V. Yang, Rui Chen, Kinjal M. Hew, Deborah M. Hussey Freeland, Rachel Miller, and Susan K. Murphy. 2017. Small-Magnitude Effect Sizes in Epigenetic End Points are Important in Children’s Environmental Health Studies: The Children’s Environmental Health and Disease Prevention Research Center’s Epigenetics Working Group. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2017: 125(4) 511-526. PDF
Schechter, J.C., Kollins, S.H. 2017. Prenatal Smoke Exposure and ADHD: Advancing the Field. Pediatrics. 2017: 139(2). PDF
- Sheng Y, Do EK, Barry C, Saba V, Tolbert S, Zucker N, Schechter JC, Kollins SH, Fuemmeler, BF. Associations between attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms, emotional-behavioral problems and eating behaviors in early childhood. The Obesity Society at Obesity Week. Oct 31 2017, Washington D.C.
- Hill SN, Sheng Y, Kollins SH, Murphy S, Hoyo C, Fuemmeler BF. Sex differences in neonatal DNA methylation of imprinted genes and executive functioning in early childhood. The 10th Developmental Origins of Health and Disease World Congress. Oct 15, 2017, Rotterdam, Netherlands.
- Levin ED, M Cauley, BJ Hall, Y Abreu-Villaça, S Junaid, H White, and A Kiany. Prenatal exposure to tobacco smoke extract and some of its constituents in rats cause persisting neurobehavioral effects in the offspring Developmental Neurotoxicology Society Annual Meeting, June 24-28, 2017, Denver, CO.
- Levin ED. Neurodevelopmental toxicity of tobacco smoke and nicotine. Teratology Society Annual Meeting, June 24-28, 2017, Denver, CO.
- Levin ED, M Cauley, A Hawkey, C Wells, S Junaid, L Yao and Z Spiera. Persisting effects of separate and combined nicotine and benzo-a-pyrene exposure during gestation on motor, emotional and cognitive functions in rats. International Neurotoxicology Association and Neurotoxicity Society Joint Meeting, May 20-23, 2017, Florianopolis, Brazil.
- Cauley M, BJ. Hall, Y Abreu-Villaça, S Junad, H White, A Kiany and ED Levin. Low dose exposure to tobacco smoke chemicals during premating, early or late gestation in female rats cause persisting neurobehavioral effects in the offspring. Society of Toxicology, March 12-16, 2017, Baltimore, MD.
- Schechter, J. Secondhand Smoke Exposure in Pregnant Women: Analysis of the Newborn Epigenetic Study Cohort. Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, March 8-11, 2017 Annual Meeting, Florence, Italy.
- Schechter, J., Davis, N. O., Fuemmeler, B., Murphy, S., Hoyo, C., & Kollins, S. Early Developmental Risk Factors for ADHD Symptoms in Young Children. Paper presented at the APSARD, Washington, D.C. January 13-15, 2017. Poster selected for poster tour and received honorable mention.
- Lunsford-Avery, J.R., Schechter, J., Ornstein Davis, N., Mitchell, J.T., Fuemmeler, B. F., & Kollins, S.H. Actigraphically-Measured Sleep Disturbances and Impaired Executive Functioning in a Community Sample of Young Children. Poster abstract at the APSARD Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. January 13-15, 2017.
Fuemmeler, B.F., Lee, C.T., Soubry, A., Iversen, E.S., Huang, Z., Murtha, A.P., Schildkraut, J.P., Jirtle, R.L., Murphy, S.K., Hoyo, C. 2016. DNA Methylation of Regulatory Regions of Imprinted Genes at Birth and Its Relation to Infant Temperament. Genetics and Epigenetics. 2016: 8 59-67. PDF
Slotkin, T.A., Skavicus, S., Card, J., Levin, E.D., Seidler, F.J. 2016. Diverse Neurotoxicants Target the Differentiation of Embryonic Neural Stem Cells into Neuronal and Glial Phenotypes. Toxicology. 372 42-51. PDF
Breton, C.V., Marsit, C.J., Faustman, E., Nadeau, K., Goodrich, J.M., Dolinoy, D.C., Herbstman, J., Holland, N., LaSalle, J.M., Schmidt, R., Yousefi, P., Perera, F., Joubert, B.R., Wiemels, J., Taylor, M., Yang, I.V., Chen, R., Hew, K.M., Hussey Freeland, D.M.,Miller, R. and S.K. Murphy. 2016. Small Magnitude Effect Sizes in Epigenetic Endpoints are Important in Children's Environmental Health Studies: The Children's Environmental Health and Disease Prevention Research Center's Epigenetics Working Group. Environmental Health Perspectives (in press) DOI: 10.1289/EHP595
Slotkin, T.A., Stadler, A., Skavicus, S., Card, J., Ruff, J., Levin, E.D., Seidler, F.J. 2016. Is there a critical period for the developmental neurotoxicity of low-level tobacco smoke exposure? Toxicological Sciences. DOW: 10.1093. PDF
Moylan, C. and S.K. Murphy. 2016. DNA methylation: Basic principles. In Medical Epigenetics (T.O. Tollesfbol, Ed.), Elsevier, Academic Press, London, pp 11-31.
Fuemmeler, B.F., Wang, L., Iversen, E.S., Maguire, R., Murphy S.K. and C. Hoyo. 2016. Association between prepregnancy body mass index and gestational weight gain with size, tempo and velocity of infant growth: Analysis of the Newborn Epigenetics STudy cohort. Childhood Obesity 12:210-218. PDF
King, K.E., Kane, J.B., Scarbrough, P., Hoyo, C. and S.K. Murphy. 2016. Neighborhood and family environment of expectant mothers may influence prenatal programming of adult cancer risk: Discussion and an illustrative DNA methylation example. Biodemoraphy and Social Biology 62:87-104. PDF
Nye, M.D., King, K.E., Darrah, T.H., Maguire, R., Jima, D.D., Huang, Z., Mendez, M.A., Fry, R.C., Jirtle, R.L., Murphy, S.K. and C. Hoyo. Maternal blood lead concentrations, DNA methylation of MEG3 DMR regulating the DLK1/MEG3 imprinted domain and early growth in a multiethnic cohort. Environmental Epigenetics (in press). PDF
Slotkin, T.A., Stadler, A., Skavicus, S. and F.J. Seidler. 2016. Adolescents and adults differ in the immediate and long-term impact of nicotine administration and withdrawal on cardiac norepinephrine. Brain Research Bulletin 122:71-75. PDF
Hall, B.J., Cauley, M., Burke, D.A., Kiany, A., Slotkin, T.A. and E.D. Levin. 2016. Cognitive and behavioral impairments by low level exposure to tobacco smoke components: Comparison with nicotine alone. Toxicological Sciences 151:236-244. PDF
- Schechter, J. Independent and Interactive Effects of Prenatal Cotinine Exposure and Maternal Depression on Birthweight. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences FEST, Durham, NC. December 6-8, 2016.
- Maguire, R. First trimester blood cadmium and lead levels are associated with cardiometabolic risk markers in children. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences FEST, Durham, NC. December 6-8, 2016.
- Taylor, M. Association of Prenatal Environmental Tobacco Smoke Exposure and Increased Methylation of the Imprinted Genes MEG3 and MEG3-IG. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences FEST, Durham, NC. December 6-8, 2016.
- House, J. Maternal Nutrition and Early Childhood Behavioral Outcomes in NEST. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences FEST, Durham, NC. December 6-8, 2016.
- Fuemmeler, B. Effects of prenatal tobacco smoke exposure on attention regulation and language acquisition in early childhood. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences FEST, Durham, NC. December 6-8, 2016.
- Barry, C. Using mobile and digital technology to improve cohort management in the Duke NICHES cohort. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences FEST, Durham, NC. December 6-8, 2016.
- Levin, E.D. Critical windows of tobacco smoke chemical exposure causing long-term behavioral effects in rates. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences FEST, Durham, NC. December 6-8, 2016.
- Murphy, S.K. Communicating the Complexities of Scientific Research. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences FEST, Durham, NC. December 6-8, 2016.
- Levin, E.D. Sex Differences and Environmental Exposure: Latest Research Advances and Impact of New NIH Policy. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences FEST, Durham, NC. December 6-8, 2016.
- Hall BJ, Y Abreu-Villaça, M Cauley, S Juniad, H White, A Kiany and ED Levin. Sex differences in ventral hippocampal muscarinic acetylcholine antagonist scopolamine effects on spatial memory in rats. Society for Neurosciences, Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, November 12-16, 2016.
- Murphy, S.K. Environmental Influence on Preconceptional and Gestational DNA Methylation Profiles. Environmental Mutagenesis and Genomics Society Annual Meeting, Kansas City, Missouri. S2. August 14-18, 2016
- Seidler, F.J., E.D. Levin and T.A. Slotkin, Comparative developmental neurotoxicity of tobacco smoke and nicotine, in vivo and in vitro. Society of Toxicology, Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, March 13-17, 2016.
- Hall BJ, M Cauley, HJ White, S Junaid, A Kiany, Y Abreu-Villaça and ED Levin. Neurobehavioral effects of exposure to tobacco smoke extract in rats during critical windows of gestational development. Society of Toxicology, Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, March 13-17, 2016.
Murphy, S.K., Erginer, E., Huang, Z., Visco, Z. and C. Hoyo. 2015. Genotype-epigenotype interaction at the IGF2 DMR. Genes 6:777-789. PDF
Taylor, M. and S.K. Murphy. 2015. Systems biology and the epigenome. In Systems Biology in Toxicology and Environmental Health (Rebecca Fry, Ed), Elsevier, Academic Press, Amsterdam, pp. 43-56. PDF
Slotkin, T.A., Skavicus, S., Card, J., Stadler, A., Levin, E.D. and F.J. Seidler. 2015. Developmental neurotoxicity of tobacco smoke directed toward cholinergic and serotonergic systems: More than just nicotine. Toxicological Sciences 147:178-189. PDF
Levin, E.D. 2015. Learning about cognition risk with the radial-arm maze in the developmental neurotoxicology battery. Neurotoxicology and Teratology 52:88-92. PDF
Slotkin, T.A., Skavicus, S., Card, J., Levin, E.D., Seidler, F.J. 2015. Amelioration strategies fail to prevent tobacco smoke effects on neurodifferentiation: nicotinic receptor blockade, antioxidants, methyl donors. Toxicology 333:63-75. PDF
Nye, M.D., Hoyo, C. and S.K. Murphy. 2015. In vitro lead exposure changes DNA methylation and expression of IGF2 and PEG1/MEST. Toxicology In Vitro 29:544-550. PDF
- Hall BJ, M Cauley, A Kiany, DA Burke and ED Levin. Low dose tobacco smoke extract exposure during development causes long-term behavioral dysfunction in rats. International Neurotoxicology Association, Fifteenth Biannual Meeting, Montréal, Canada, June 27-July 1, 2015.
- Levin, E.D. Neurotoxicology and ADHD in rodent models. International Neurotoxicology Association, Fifteenth Biannual Meeting, Montréal, Canada, June 27-July 1, 2015.
Vidal, A.C., Benjamin Neelon, S.E., Liu, Y., Tuli, A., Fuemmeler, B.F., Hoyo, C., Murtha, A.P., Huang, Z., Schildkraut, J., Overcash, F., Kurtzberg, J., Jirtle, R.L., Iversen, E.S. and S.K. Murphy. 2014. Maternal stress, preterm birth, and DNA methylation at imprint regulatory sequences in humans. Genetics and Epigenetics 6:37-44. PDF
Smeester, L., Yosim, A., Nye, M.D., Hoyo, C. Murphy, S.K. and R.C. Fry. 2014. Imprinted genes and the environment: links to the toxic metals arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury. Genes 5:477-496. PDF
Nye, M.D., Fry, R.C., Hoyo, C. and S.K. Murphy. 2014. Investigating epigenetic effects of prenatal exposure to toxic metals in newborns: challenges and benefits. Medical Epigenetics 2:53-59. PDF
Soubry, A., Hoyo, C., Jirtle, R.L. and S.K. Murphy. 2014. Paternal environmental legacy: Evidence for epigenetic inheritance through the male germ line. Bioessays 36:359-371. PDF
Slotkin, T.A., Card, J. and F.J. Seidler. 2014. Nicotine administration in adolescence reprograms the subsequent response to nicotine treatment and withdrawal in adulthood: sex-selective effects on cerebrocortical serotonergic function. Brain Research Bulletin 102:1-8. PDF
Slotkin, T.A., Card, J., Stadler, A., Levin, E.D. and F.J. Seidler. 2014. Effects of tobacco smoke on PC12 cell neurodifferentiation are distinct from those of nictoine or benza[a]pyrene. Neurotoxicology and Teratology 43:19-24. PDF